Have you managed to use the NZ Pass Verifier App?
NZ Pass Verifier is the Ministry of Health’s official app for scanning and verifying COVID-19 Vaccine Passes.
I hope the use of the NZ Pass Verifier App for Vaccine Passports works better for you than it did for me. I downloaded the App today for an Android phone:
The App when installed would not read my own printed Vaccine Passport QR code and, when scanned from the screen of my laptop, needed a 400% enlargement (approximately 11 x 11cm) to be read from the App. Even then it took several seconds for the QR code to be detected/ read.
NZ Pass Verifier is the Ministry of Health’s official app for scanning and verifying COVID-19 Vaccine Passes [to]:
Scan a COVID-19 Vaccine Pass to verify the owner of the pass and the authenticity of the pass. The full name and birthdate of the pass holder will be displayed on screen for verification.
Can be used to scan COVID-19 Vaccine Passes that are presented in digital or paper format
Scan COVID-19 Vaccine Passes without the need for a data connection.
Update offline records for offline scanning.
In order to protect privacy, all scanning is done on the device, and no information about the scanned COVID-19 Vaccine Passes is stored on the device or leaves the device.
When My Vaccine Pass will be required
Requiring a My Vaccine Pass will be optional for many locations. There will be some higher-risk settings where they will be a requirement in order to open to the public.
At all levels, businesses, retail, and public facilities will generally be able to remain open for vaccinated people.
Businesses, events, organisations, community, and a range of sectors may legally choose to implement a vaccination entry requirement for customers.
If a business, organisation or service does not wish to request proof of vaccine, they will have to operate with strict limits on capacity and space requirements. They may need to close in Orange and/or Red levels.
- Businesses that do require proof of vaccination status – My Vaccine Pass – should verify each customer’s My Vaccine Pass using NZ Pass Verifier. This includes businesses who choose to operate under My Vaccine Pass rules in order to be open (such as hospitality)
- Businesses who have opted to require My Vaccine Pass in order to operate under the required rules will also need to verify each customer’s My Vaccine Pass using NZ Pass Verifier
- Businesses who have opted to require My Vaccine Pass, for example after having completed a health and safety risk assessment, should scan each customer’s My Vaccine Pass with NZ Pass Verifier.
- Some businesses are prohibited from asking for or scanning passes, such as supermarkets, pharmacies, all health and disability services, food banks or petrol stations.
- Some businesses who are not requiring staff to be vaccinated may choose not to require My Vaccine Pass for entry. For example, retail businesses may not.
How you use the verifier app will depend on your sector or the choices you have made about how you will operate under the new framework.
Customers wanting to enter a business that is requiring the My Vaccine Pass are obligated to provide their My Vaccine Pass to be scanned, when asked.
NZ Pass Verifier
NZ Pass Verifier is a free Ministry of Health app for businesses to scan and verify their customers’ My Vaccine Pass.
Last updated: 23 November 2021
On this page:
- Download NZ Pass Verifier
- About NZ Pass Verifier
- How to use NZ Pass Verifier
- Scanning passes with no internet
- Technical support
This page is about the NZ Pass Verifier app. For information about My Vaccine Pass, see My Vaccine Pass.
Scanning passes with no internet
Internet is needed for the initial app download and the first scan, but after that, the NZ Pass Verifier app can scan My Vaccine Pass without an internet connection but should be connected to the internet on a regular basis to ensure it can verify all valid My Vaccine Passes.
Call 0800 800 606
Minimum mobile phone requirements:
- IOS: Requires iOS 11 or later (this generally means iPhone 5S or newer)
- Android: Requires Android 6.0 or later.