ACC Payments if you have an accident

Some people are not clear on what they are entitled to if they have an accident.

In different years my partner and one her sons (very recently) had accidents.

My partner, her HR Manager, her son, and even his ACC Case Manager were not initially aware of the information below.

Make sure you are aware of the information below and get what you are entitled to receive.

 

If you have an accident at work, your employer pays for your first week off work. This is not sick leave and does not affect your existing sick leave entitlement.

If you have an accident that does not happen at work, you will need to cover your first week off work yourself. You can use your sick leave for this.

Until you return to work, assuming your claim is accepted by ACC, ACC will pay 80% of your normal wages after your first week off work (usually based on your earnings in the four weeks before you were injured). You can use your sick leave or annual leave to top up the remaining 20% if your wish. Always use up your sick leave first since any remaining sick leave will not be paid out to you if you do not return to work (e.g. change jobs).

Once you return to work, ACC will top up your pay. ACC will not pay more than 80% of your normal wages.

Provided you work more than 20% of your normal (ordinary) working hours, ACC will top up your wages to 100% of your normal wages.

Obviously ACC is normally happy to top you up to 100% of your normal pay if this means ACC ends up paying you no more than 80% of your normal pay.

You will have agreed with your case manager and your employer (perhaps HR person) on a return to work plan (rehabilitation plan), normally part time to begin with.

So provided you return to work and work at least 20% of your normal hours (e.g. 40 hours) you should receive 100% of your normal pay. See the excerpt below from an email (from an ACC case manager):

ACC

Many people think they will be only topped up to 80% of their normal pay once they return to work. This is not correct.

Please also note that your agreed ‘return to work’ plan can be adjusted if you find you cannot cope with the agreed hours. People normally return to work far too early.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s